From 16 November 2019, there will be changes to the points test of the skilled migration program. This means that all skilled based visa applications, including but not limited to Subclass 189, 190, 489 and 491 (new Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa effective 16 Nov 2019) will be assessed under this new points system effective 16 November 2019. This change is to ensure a fairer skilled migration system and to channel provisional skilled migrants into economy in regional Australia.
The changes to the points are outlined below:
- 15 points will be awarded for nomination by a State or Territory government agency, or sponsorship by a family member residing in regional Australia, to live and work in regional Australia. In current points system, only 10 points will be awarded in this category.
- 10 points for having a skilled spouse or de facto partner.
- 10 points for applicants without a spouse or de facto partner. In current system, no points is awarded for applicants without a partner or de facto partner.
- 5 points for applicants with a spouse or de facto partner with competent English (e.g: at least IELTS 6 in every component).
- 10 points for applicants with certain STEM qualifications.
It is obvious that this new change will ensure single applicants without a spouse or de facto partner will not be disadvantaged as in the case of current points system. It is worth noting that the specific requirements are not clear at this juncture. We will provide further updates on this when they become available. So please stay tuned for our blog posts!
If you are uncertain how these changes will affect your skilled migration to Australia, feel free to contact us for an appointment for a confidential face-to-face or phone consultation to assess your circumstances. Our friendly and professional MARA registered migration agent will be happily provide valuable advice according to your circumstances. Ausdirect Migration offices are conveniently located at Melbourne CBD and Melbourne western suburbs: Point Cook & Altona.
Fill in the contact form below to make an appointment for a consultation with us and we will happily assist you with your question: