QLD 491 Visa Program
The Skilled Work Regional 491 visa allows points-tested skilled workers and their families to live, study and work in designated regional areas for a period of 5 years. This visa is for people who wish to settle in regional Australia who have skills that are in high demand in Australia’s labour market.
Here we would like to provide you the latest update about the requirements and process to apply for the 491 visa for Queensland.
The 491 Visa for QLD has the following 3 main streams:
- I’m working in Queensland
- I’m offshore
- I’m a postgraduate
1. Applicants Working in Queensland
For people who are working in QLD and wish to apply for QLD 491 state nomination, the following state nomination requirements apply:
- have an occupation on the QSOL ‘Working in Queensland’ list
- provide evidence of full-time post-qualification employment (minimum of 35 hours per week) in your nominated occupation for the past 6 months in Queensland (190 visa) IMMEDIATELY prior to EOI submission. If you are lodging an EOI for a 491 visa you must be LIVING and WORKING (full-time post qualification, minimum 35 hours per week) in REGIONAL Queensland in your nominated occupation for the past 3 months IMMEDIATELY prior to EOI submission.
- provide evidence of ongoing employment with a Queensland employer registered in Australia for a further 12 months (minimum of 35 hours per week). For the 491 it must be a ongoing employment in a REGIONAL area for a further 12 months (minimum 35 hours per week).
- commit to living and working in Queensland for 2 years for the 190 visa and 3 years for the 491 from visa grant.
Employment can be undertaken in the following ways:
- Work for one or more employers
- Two part-time jobs
- Work in own business as an owner/operator
- Labour hire – All labour hire providers operating in Queensland need to be licensed under the new Labour Hire Licencing Act 2017
The work location needs to be outside of Brisbane, and the following post codes are accepted:
4124 to 4125, 4133, 4183 to 4184, 4207 to 4275, 4280 to 4287, 4306 to 4498, 4507, 4517 to 4519, 4550 to 4575, 4580 to 4895.
2. Offshore Applicants
For people who are outside of Australia and wish to apply for QLD 491 state nomination, the following state nomination requirements apply:
- have an occupation on the QSOL ‘Offshore’ list
- provide evidence that you have a minimum of 2 years post-qualification work experience in your nominated occupation.
- More experience may be required for certain occupations.
- commit to living and working in Queensland from the date that you arrive in Queensland to live permanently.
If you are an overseas PhD graduate, you may be eligible for a work experience requirement waiver if you have a minimum 12 month job offer with a Queensland employer registered in Australia. The job offer must be related to your occupation, and evidence is required showing acceptance of the offer.
3.Applicants who are a Master’s or PhD Alumni of a Queensland University
For people who are a Master’s or PhD Alumni of a Queensland University and wish to apply for QLD 491 state nomination, the following state nomination requirements apply:
- Have an occupation on the QSOL Masters Graduate List
- Have completed 100% of your Masters degree at a Queensland-based institution and graduated in the last two years. This qualification must be related to your nominated occupation.
- Provide evidence of current full-time employment (minimum of 35 hours per week) with a Queensland employer registered in Australia in your nominated occupation (or a closely related occupation).
- Provide evidence of ongoing employment from a Queensland employer registered in Australia in your skilled occupation (or a closely related occupation). This job offer must be for a minimum of 12 months (minimum of 35 hours per week).
For people who are Graduates of a Queensland PhD and wish to apply for QLD 491 state nomination, the following state nomination requirements apply:
- Have an occupation on the HA relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.
- Have completed 100% of your PhD at a Queensland-based institution and graduated in the last two years. This qualification must be related to your nominated occupation.
- A job offer is not required unless otherwise stated.The occupation of University Lecturer ANZSCO 2421111 must meet the ‘Working in Queensland’ requirements.
How to apply for QLD 491 visa?
Step 1 – EOI for QLD 491
You must submit a valid EOI (Expression of Interest) for QLD 491, and ensure the information in the EOI is accurate and up to date. QLD government prefers those whose EOI has selected QLD only. We strongly suggest you discuss your eligibility with our registered migration agent at Ausdirect Migration before making any application.
Step 2 – Invitation for QLD 491 State Nomination Application
Once QLD has assessed your EOI and believe you can satisfy both Federal and QLD requirements, you will receive an email invitation to lodge an application and be requested to provide the required documents for QLD 491 state nomination application.
Step 3 – State Nomination Application for 491 visa QLD
This is the time you formally lodge the state nomination application for QLD 491 visa. You will have to be very careful and ensure all the requirements are met.
Step 4 – Apply for 491 Visa
Once your QLD state nomination application has been approved, you will receive the approval letter and also the invitation to make an application for the 491 skilled visa.
Step 5 – Respond to any RFI requests by the Immigration
When Department of Home Affairs assess your visa application, they may send a number of RFI (Request for Further Information) to ask for more information for verification before making a decision on your visa application. It is critical that you need to fully understand the 491 visa requirement before you make the application.
Must Read for Australia 491 Visa