Canberra 491 Visa Program
In this article, we will explain the requirements and application process for 491 Visa Canberra.
General Overview for 491 Visa Canberra
In order to apply for the Canberra 491 visa, you will need to be nominated by the ACT Government or an eligible family member. This provisional visa will allow you and your dependant family to live, work and study in the regional ACT for 5 years. If you are nominated by the ACT to apply for a 491 visa, you must live and work in Canberra for at least two years from visa grant.
491 Visa Canberra Application Process
Step 1 – Seek Professional Assistance
Seeking professional migration advice about your eligibility for Australian immigration and the action plan.
Step 2 – EOI for 491 Visa Canberra
You must submit a valid EOI (Expression of Interest) for ACT 491 visa and ensure the information in the EOI is accurate and up to date.
Step 3 – Complete the Canberra Matrix
You must complete a score-based ‘Canberra Matrix’ where points can be claimed against specific criteria including skilled employment, English proficiency, formal qualifications, length of ACT residence / study, investment activity and close family ties, etc. You can check your score here beforehand. Please note, the Matrix cannot be updated or withdrawn after submission. Therefore, if there is an error or change in the circumstances that leads to the points to increase or decrease, you will need to complete a new Matrix.
Step 4 – State Nomination Application for 491 Visa Canberra
Submit the official nomination application to ACT Government.
Step 5 – Apply for 491 Visa
Once your state nomination application has been approved, you will receive the approval letter and also the invitation to make an application for the 491 skilled visa.
Step 6 – Respond to any RFI requests by the Immigration
When Department of Home Affairs assess your visa application, they may send a number of RFI (Request for Further Information) to ask for more information for verification before making a decision on your visa application. It is critical that you fully understand the 491 visa requirement before you lodge the application.
491 Visa Requirements – Federal Government
You and your dependant family must satisfy the Department of Home Affairs requirements:
- must be under age 45 when being nominated
- obtain a full skills assessment for the skilled occupation that you have nominated
- have competent level of English Language
- scored at least 65 points or higher on the skilled migration point test
Requirements for 491 Visa Canberra – State Government
If you are currently residing in Canberra and satisfy the following requirements, you may seek state nomination via this pathway.
- Eligibility: You must meet one of the following criteria:
- Your nominated occupation is on the latest ACT Critical Skills List; or
- You are the primary holder of a subclass 457/482 visa sponsored by an ACT employer and you have been working for the sponsoring ACT employer for at least 3 months; or
- You are the majority owner of a eligible registered business located in the ACT and you are claiming Matrix points in the Small Business Owner category.
- Residency: You must be living in Canberra for the last 3 months and continue until the date of invitation.
- Employment: You must be working in Canberra for a minimum of 20 hours per week the last 3 months, prior to the date you submit the Matrix. The employment must be continuous and genuine and it must be paid employment. Your employer MUST declare that you are employed in a genuine position in accordance with Australian legislation and your manager or direct supervisor need to sign the statutory declaration.
- English: You must meet the Department of Home Affairs requirement for ‘proficient’ or ‘superior’ English unless your nominated occupation is Chef (351311) or has an ANZSCO skill level 3 to 5.
- Spouse / Partner: Your spouse or partner must also reside in Canberra for the last 3 months or living overseas.
- You will provide evidence of your relationship if you want to claim Matrix points for a spouse/partner
- Your spouse/partner must have “competent” level of English or hold an Australian passport so you can claim Matrix points in the spouse/partner employment category.
- Commit to living in Canberra: You must sign a declaration committing to living and working in Canberra while your visa is processed and for at least two years from date of visa grant.
- Eligibility: You must meet one of the following criteria:
If you are an overseas application and satisfy the following requirements, you may seek state nomination via this pathway.
- Your nominated occupation must be on the latest ACT Critical Skills List
- You and your dependents must be living overseas for a minimum of 12 months.
- You and your dependents must not hold a current Australian visa (or bridging visa), except for visitor visa.
- You must have “proficient” or “superios” level of English.
- You must be working in your nominated occupation for the last 12 months. The employment must be full-time and continuous.
- You must research the ACT labour market and demonstrate you are employable in your nominated occupation in Canberra.
- You will provide evidence of your relationship if you want to claim Matrix points for a spouse/partner.
- You must sign a declaration committing to living and working in Canberra for at least two years from date of visa grant.
- You must have sufficient funds for migration and settlement in Canberra while seeking employment.
Ausdirect Migration for 491 Visa Canberra
Our team at Ausdirect Migration is very experienced in managing migration programs in relation to Canberra Visa applications. We have provided top quality migration services to onshore and offshore clients to support them study in Canberra and apply for migration through Canberra.
Book a consultation with us today. We look forward to hearing from you and the opportunity to assist you in managing your immigration journey.
Must Read for Australia 491 Visa