Psychiatrist belongs to the occupation unit group of 2534 PSYCHIATRISTS and is a Skill Level 1 occupation in Australia. In other words, a psychiatrist must have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification, two years hospital-based training, and at least five years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.
Diagnoses, assesses, treats and prevents human mental, emotional and behavioural disorders. Registration or licensing is required.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
Skills Assessment Authority:
Medical Board Ahpra (MedBA) is the designated authority for assessing skills and competencies for international medical graduates(IMG) whose medical qualifications are from a medical school outside of Australia or New Zealand and who are seeking registration to practise medicine in Australia.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification, two years hospital-based training, and at least five years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.
- assessing patients’ mental and physical status to determine the nature and extent of mental, emotional and behavioural disorders
- assessing patients’ medical, psychiatric and psychological histories
- examining patients to determine general physical condition
- ordering laboratory tests, imaging, neuropsychological tests and other diagnostic procedures
- examining the results of tests and examinations to determine the most appropriate forms of treatment
- prescribing and administering medication, psychotherapy, and other physical treatments and rehabilitation programs
- arranging admission to hospitals and providing in-patient treatment
- consulting, supervising and working with other Medical Practitioners and Health Professionals
- determining whether patients require involuntary treatment in accordance with relevant mental health acts
- assisting courts and other statutory bodies in managing patients in legal and forensic settings
- teaching medical students and registrars, and assessing their progress by administering tests
Australian Visa Options for 253411 PSYCHIATRIST
This occupation has access to the following Australian immigration programs:
If you are interested in understanding more about migrating to Australia and the prospect of working and living in Australia, please book a consultation with Ausdirect Migration today and our immigration experts will guide you along the journey.