Orthoptist belongs to the occupation unit group of 2514 OPTOMETRISTS AND ORTHOPTISTS and is a Skill Level 1 occupation in Australia. In other words, an orthoptist must have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing may be required.
Diagnoses and manages eye movement disorders and associated sensory deficiencies. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skills Assessment Authority:
VETASSESS is Australia’s leading vocational education and training assessment provider. It is the designated skills assessing authority for migration purposes for over 300 General Professional Occupations approved by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing may be required.
- examining patients’ eyes and setting tests to determine the nature and extent of vision problems and abnormalities
- assessing ocular health and visual function by measuring visual acuity and refractive error, and testing the function of visual pathways, visual fields, eye movements, freedom of vision and intraocular pressure, and performing other tests using special eye test equipment
- detecting, diagnosing and managing eye disease, referring patients to, and receiving referrals from other health providers, and prescribing medications for the treatment of eye disease
- diagnosing eye movement disorders and defects of binocular function
- prescribing lenses, contact lenses and low vision aids, and checking suitability and comfort
- prescribing exercises to coordinate movement and focusing of eyes
- managing programs for eye movement disorders, and instructing and counselling patients in the use of corrective techniques and eye exercises
- advising on visual health matters such as contact lens care, vision care for the elderly, optics, visual ergonomics, and occupational and industrial eye safety
- conducting preventative screening programs
- conducting rehabilitation programs for the visually impaired
Australian Visa Options for 251412 Orthoptist
This occupation has access to the following Australian immigration programs:
If you are interested in understanding more about migrating to Australia and the prospect of working and living in Australia, please book a consultation with Ausdirect Migration today and our immigration experts will guide you along the journey.